Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Cruise of the Confidence 2013-09-08

Gray's Harbor to Ilwaco: 50 nautical miles
46*54.62 N
124*11'W

 0735: Past the breakwater with seas about 3-4 feet. Almost feels calm compared to what we experienced coming in. Visibility about 6 miles
1130: sun is breaking through and the job is out.
Decided to do some motor sailing in order to time our entrance to the Columbia bar.
SOG is 6-6.5 knots
Course is 160
Winds NW 5 - 10
Seas 3 foot chop
You can just make out the shoreline at about 7 miles.
Nice treat at coffee - I found someone who makes cinnamon buns (frozen) almost as good as mom's! 
So I heated them up in the oven for 10 minutes and they were delicious. Only complaint was the fact that I only bought 2. What was I thinking?

1323: Looking at Long Beach Washington - the world's longest beach though they say. Making great time to meet up with the end of the flood at the Columbia bar.
Made some crab and shrimp chowder for lunch. No cream on board so I had to substitute with milk, sour cream and a touch of butter. Captain have it the thumb's up.

1510: conditions at the bar are light with winds 5-10, seas 2-4 with no restrictions.

Too much rolling to keep the sail full but were eventually able to get the genoa up. Pretty good sail all the way to the mouth of the Columbia - keeping hull speed.
1430 arrived off the Columbia River Bar - conditions were light. Spent some time dodging the dredger "Stuyvesant"
1540: entered the narrow 2 mile ditch between Sand Island and Cape Disappointmnet - so named because The seal hunter, Captain Meares was unable to find the entrance.
1630: arrived at Ilwaco



We found Ilwaco, another small fishing port to be a bit cleaner and better organized than Westport. Moorage is getting cheaper at 16.75/night and 3.25 for power.
Met Steve on another Tayana 37 (1983 version) called the Victoria Rose. Lots of good information on Mexico and other boat related stuff.
I took a bus to the town of Long Beach for a whopping 35 cents. Just to let you know how things have changed for me. I hardly spent any time in the crafty shops - my money was spent in a hardware store buying muffin tins and a cookie sheet that would fit in our oven.


Then I walked down to the beach and started walking back toward Ilwaco. After about 2 miles on the beach I walked up to the grasslands and continued on the walking,biking trail laid out by the parks. 




The mile countdown started at 6 plus I had already walked 2. But I figured if I got tired I could walk up to the highway and get the bus. It was beautiful with the occasional vistas do the ocean and beach. But I was quite tired by the time I made it back to the boat - yes that beer tasted real good!

Next day David decided he wanted to walk up to the lighthouse . I backed out and stayed on the boat to make granola and muffins in my new pans! 



Here are a few pictures of Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment