Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cruise of the Confidence 2013-11-27 to 30

27 Nov 2013 Payday for us retired folks. No entry by the captain as he seems to have handed over this responsibility to me. He puts in the odd comment if I remind him to.

0200 Orange moon is up at 44%. There is some clould cover and the seas are unbelievably calm. We are maintaining 4-4.5 knots with the main and the genoa. The temperature is slowing going up such that only sheets are required for sleeping.

My profound thoughts for this night passage has to do with the size of the universe as I look up into the night sky. It is amazing how big this universe is that we are a part of. Or should one consider just how small earth is in relation to it. I look up at Orion and the Big Dipper - I am in the bottom one third of the North American continent and most of you are in the top third, thousands of miles away and we are looking at the same constellations. Now that is a WOW!

0326 Just lost sight of the sailboat that we had left the anchorage with. These were the guys that we had passed when they put in the reef. When the winds decreased we could tell that they had cheated and turned their motor on and then passed us. They were also going on a course of 190 degrees while we chose to go a bit slower and remain at 150. Consequently they had to tack into shore quite a distance in order to make the next anchorage.

Which brings to mind another physics lesson - vectors. Perfect situation for understanding this concept. David is very good at choosing courses to maximize speed and distance. I find that we are often following a course quite different than the people we meet but I also seem to notice that we clock more sailing time which is what cruising is supposed to be about. So 2 boats can leave at the same time and end up at the same place but go totally different routes. I would think that David would be very good in a race situation.

0530: rolled in the genoa

0600: I noticed that the shackle at the bottom of the main was no longer attached and consequently the sail was flapping around quite a bit. The winds were 10-15 and I did not feel comfortable putting in a reef by myself in the dark so I woke up the captain. We found the shackle and could see where it had broken off.


Good thing I noticed before we had damage to the sail too! We then changed course so we could get a better  alignment with our entrance to Bahia Magdalena.

David went back to sleep and I was treated to the most spectacular sunrise. The sky was golden and the clouds were a tangerine orange. Notice I did not say RED!




Winds are from the NE 5-10 on the beam and we are doing 4.5 knots. Seas rippled with minimal swell.

0830 Contact made with Pelagia on 3860/66 They arrived at Santa Maria the night before. By this time we had decided to alter our destination to the same bay as we heard that it was quite nice. During the late morning long cirrus cloud started moving in from the west and the barometer began to fall. The wind began to pick up again but changed to a SWesterly at 5-8 knots. So we needed that motor to help us along.

1200 Punta San Lazaro became visable

1343: abeam the light at Cabo San Lazaro/ Whale sighting with his tail up.

1445 Abeam Punta Hughes. I see lots of sandy beach!

1515: dropped the hook and had a shower. Contacted Pelagia. We all decided to stay for an extra night. Made it an early night as we had some catching up to do in the sleep department.


28-Nov-2013 And am I ever glad we all decided to stay here. The next morning it was sunny and I was able to jump off of the boat and go for a swim! I swam over to Pelagia and then back - about 200 meters. Then I sat in the sun. Marova showed up so once they got settled I swam over to their boat and David followed me in the dinghy. I was in heaven. Then I swam back.

Tried phoning home and was only able to get a hold of Debbie and Stuart. I was so excited I just had to share it with someone. Snow in the Sault so I do not think they were that excited about my bragging!

Happy hour on Marova later with langosta - small lobsters - that were purchased for 2 AAA batteries per lobster. The fisherman need them for their flashlights. It was a beautiful day.

29-Nov-2013

1030 and anchor is up. Decided to do a short run to Bahia Magdalena which is only about 20 nm away. Genoa out and we sailed out of the bay.

Looks like Princess del Mar was just sailing in as we were leaving. That boat is also from Vancouver.

Winds are 5-8 knots NNW. Mainly cloudy with the odd blue patch. Seas rippled with next to no seas.

1200: What to make for lunch. Supplies of fresh food is starting to dwindle. We do not know if we can pick up anything at Punta Belcher. And we do not want to head into San Carlos as it is quite a way into the bay.

I found a half of a loaf of baguet in the freezer so I grilled it. Still have fresh tomatoes and garlic and onion so we had Bruchetta/

1400 Punta Magdelana. Chicken caccitore with olives and canned spinach and artichokes for dinner. Never thought I would actually find a use for the canned spinach that Susan talked me into buying. But I have to say it was actually a nice addition to the jarred tomato sauce that I had on board. Have to keep those iron levels up.

1500: Anchorage at Punta Belcher was a little exposed as the north westerlies had picked up to 20 knots. And it was pretty rough. So we decided to proceed to Porta del Magdalena along with Marova.
It is also known as Man of War Bay.



We were quite suprised at how green the hills were on this side of the point as the west side was very desert like. I guess more rain comes from an easterly direction when it does come. This is a picture of Pelagia at anchor.

Anchor down. Sail cover on. Beer opened.

Nice dinner with wine. Only one game of crib as BA skunked the Captain. BA 12 D 7

No comments:

Post a Comment