Thursday, December 12, 2013

The Cruise of the Confidence 2013-08-29


Left Q4 at Bellhaven Marina in Bellingham Washington to begin our adventure. As I begin to write about this adventure so I can share it with my friends and family I find myself struggling with the starting point. Is it the time that we leave the dock or is it the time at which we made the commitment to make this happen? 

I decided to start it with us leaving the dock. I am hoping to write a book when all is said and done with a focus on cooking and eating one's way across the Pacific. I will leave the preparation and provisioning topics for the book.

When I retired from Transfusion Medicine my staff and friends gave me a GoPro camera - another way for us to share the adventure. As you follow this blog you will find directions to check YouTube for any video footage that goes along with the blog. My more experienced techy friends tell me that this is a better way to post the videos. Please bear with me as I learn how to do all of this - I have figured out how to use the camera but am still learning how to edit. At the beginning I will put in some of my blunders so you can get a laugh with me - as I figure this all out.

So enough with the introduction. After leaving our slip for this date we headed over to the fuel dock. We took on 80 gallons of diesel ($305). We also topped up our two 5 gallon Jerry cans. The boat can carry 100 US gallons.

Then we headed out on a course of 190 degrees. Winds were 15-20 SE so we were motoring. The rain had stopped, patches of blue and sea choppy.

1530: abeam of Carter Point where we leave Bellingham Bay. Feeling remarkably calm with no tears. We phoned Susan and Tim to say that we got away.

It has been a typical west coast day with the wind coming from every direction and every kind of weather.

1600: I took a break from the helm to make some chili. I was going to do it in the pressure cooker but I seemed to have misplaced the pressure valve - it wil probably show up somewhere in Tahiti! The recipe will have to wait for the book but I did do an adjustment which proved to be a good thing - I used beer for the liquid instead of water (water must be rationed as we can only carry 100gallons - though we can make about 2 gallons of desalinized water per hour

1650: into Obstruction Pass. Took a closer look at a couple of schooners. 



1840: dropped anchor at Friday Harbor on San Juan Island.
  - 

No comments:

Post a Comment