Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day Twenty: 19-Apr-2016 The Crossing

Day 20 19-Apr-2016 Tuesday

The seas remained uncomfortable during the night. Armon took one wave into the cockpit. I took one into the V-berth as I fell asleep with the port hole open. But most of it went on my body and only a little on the sheets and mattress. I stripped the bed - the mattress dried quite quickly with the new cotton/linen cover. 

How could David sleep through this? I guess he was really tired. But he was up early = 0530 to roll in the genoa. We continued sailing with one reef in the main.

0600: We are not bothering with any radio this morning. More rain coming 




so I just went down below to make coffee for the Captain and myself - with much difficulty - I might add. I am amazed that there have been no mishaps in the galley so far! I make sure that I only do one task at a time - difficult thing to do for a multi-tasked like myself. The kettle and coffee pot are secured on the gimbled  stove but I still wait for the water to boil. Turn off the propane - then proceed to make the coffee in our bodem. Just too rolly to try cowboy (old stovetop percolator) coffee. 

Position: 3* 00’ S 128* 55’ W
     Winds are 15-18 knots
     Seas are 8-10
     Speed over  knots.
     We be sailing.

0930: The clouds have blown away but the seas are still uncomfortable. This is getting old real fast. But then again - if you look at the conditions that we have experienced for the last 20 days - we really cannot complain. I would estimate that only one in twenty squalls actually hit us. I think someone is up there ensuring that there is this bubble of protection around Confidence. And I think that someone is Patricia! And the squalls that do hit come with rain but little rain. I think we have touched 25-30 knot winds once or twice and they were not that bad. Look at me - talking like 30 knots is not a big deal! Guess I am gaining my own confidence.

1200: Noon Position  3* 16’ S and 129* 34 ‘ W
     Speed over Ground is 7.2 knots
     Speed is 5.2 knots which means we are getting a push from the Southern Equatorial Current.
     Course Over Ground is 246
     Weather is mostly sunny with increased cloud cover on the western horizon. But the winds are from the east so they are not threat to us.

     Distance Travelled in 24 Hours: 138 - pretty respectable day
     Distanced Travelled to Date: 2180 nm
     Distance Remaining; 545 nm
     Though the seas made everyone queasy!

1800 Position: 3* 41’S and 130* 00’ W
     COG 220
     Seas 4-6 feet

Mid afternoon we put out the stay sail and altered course a little to minimize the side swells. Still quite roll and we are all getting a little tired. But humor still abounds and we try to laugh every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment