Monday, May 2, 2016

Day Two: 01-Apr-2016 The Crossing



Day 2: 01-Apr-2016 Barra, Mexico to Marquesas.

The Admiral and Captain were still having trouble acquiring their sea legs. Armon was first to feel normal. We are all blaming that one lonely beer from yesterday. Winds were very rolly which did not help the situation any. The admiral had it the worse - whether to sit or kneel in the head - that is the question! But only one episode and then I was also getting back to normal.  This is not a good thing when the Admiral is also the chief cook! Boys had to settle for homemade granola, yoghurt and fresh fruit for breakfast and left over lasagna for dinner. But there were no complaints. 

Noon Position: 18* 11.6’ N and 105* 41’ W Winds are 15-17 knots and seas are roll. 
     Weather: 75% cloud cover Temperature: 28* C
     Average speed: 6.2 knots
     Distance covered in 24 hours 114nm
     Distance travelled to Date:  216 nm

A good sailing day for Confidence and her Crew.



Note: if distance travelled does not always add up to distance to go - distance to go is dependent on the path that the crow flies. However Confidence does not always travel in a straight-line, due to winds, avoidance of squalls, currents and swells.

One idea that has proven itself in a very short time - especially on days when the cook is under the weather or the seas are too rough for gourmet cooking - is the goody bag! The Admiral tries to keep this stocked with all kinds of goodies - especially for those people on the night watch. This way there is no need to wake up the other crew in the middle of the night as they forage throughout the galley and refrigerator looking for something to eat. What goes in the goody bag you ask? Whatever surprises the Admiral can come up with from nuts, crackers and cheese, fruit, M&M’s, mini chocolate bars, granola bars, cookies - I think you get the picture. 

I had to smile last night as it was the first time that I put it out. I was awoken by the crinkle crinkle of the plastic bag as the boys picked away at the contents. They were like little boys going through their Halloween bag! By day three I got smart and transferred the contents into the cloth bag Susan had given me - with Canada and Maple leafs all over it. 



 So at least I do not get woken up in the middle of the night . But I do find that I have to replenish it quite regularly.

Last night I was sitting with David in the cockpit while Armon was catching some sleep. I was sure that I could smell something fishy. I mentioned this to David - he teased me and said it was probably whale breath! Armon got up a little while later and had his flashlight on as he entered the cockpit. And there was the culprit - a flying fish sitting on the teak grating. See - I was not going crazy!

By morning we had accumulated 4 more flying fish and a squid. 


Sunset for Day Two


No comments:

Post a Comment